Monday, January 3, 2011

What Are Your Goals This 2011?

Text: Philippians 3:12-14 NIV


Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. 


Thoughts:

Some of you have resolutions this year but i'm not really a fan of "resolutions", I'm more of a fan of "goals".

Resolution as dictionary defines it is, a decision to do something or to behave in a certain manner; Goal on the other hand is something that you are trying to do or achieve. It's synonyms are: aim, ambition, aspiration, dream, intention, mark, purpose, target.

For me, a resolution is just something you decide to do but if u're undecided to do it you're not really into it, but for goals, you have a target date...it is really something that you're trying to achieve to happen. Correct me if i'm wrong but that's how i define those two words.

I tried to search the word "resolution/s" in the Bible and no results were found. But when i searched the word "goal"....wow! there are a lot from different versions. 

It's interesting to note that Jesus had a specific goal in 3 days. We can read that in Luke 13:32: He replied, “Go tell that fox, ‘I will drive out demons and heal people today and tomorrow, and on the third day I will reach my goal.’

Paul encouraged us Christians to make it our goal to live a quiet life, minding our own business and working with our hands (1 Thessalonians 4:11).

From the text above, we can note that Paul pressed on toward the goal to win the prize for which Christ Jesus took hold of him.

I've mentioned to a friend of mine yesterday that my "resolution" was to gain 7 pounds but i forgot that I'm not really a fan of resolution but I'm a fan of goals. So, i want to correct myself here, one of my goals (not resolutions) physically is to gain 7 pounds but my highest goal this year is to be closer to God and do what he wants me to do and accomplish more things for Him.

During my devotions this morning, some of my bible readings were from Genesis and i happened to read Genesis 6:22 where it says, "Noah did everything just as God commanded him." When i read that passage, i asked God to help me this year to  obey Him more and really do  EVERYTHING JUST AS HE WANTS ME TO DO and accomplish more for Him. 

What i also learned in setting goals is once you've done them, you don't stop achieving more goals. I just started to read a book given by my friend, entitled, "Why Some Positive Thinkers Get Powerful Results" and it's so encouraging. I like what the author said there:

"Regardless of all you may have done to realize your goals, you can still do more; to all your previously achieved goals, you can add other exciting objectives. You haven't made it yet, no matter how outstanding your achievements have been. The best, your best is yet to be. Never look at the great things you have done and say, 'Not bad, not bad at all. I've got it made.' Instead tell yourself that the splendid  things you've accomplished are just indications of what you can do. Believe, always believe, and never doubt that your future lies entrancingly out there ahead of you. Then you will proceed from one level of achievements to another in a life pattern of continuous growth and development."

What are your goals this 2011? Press on to take hold of them. Ask God for the right goals. Don't say, "I've already done my goals last year" or "I want to park" or "I can't do it." Forget what is behind and strain toward what is ahead. Press on toward your goals and do everything for the Lord.


Copyright © 2011 by Mari Ann Rose "Mariah" F. Gadapan . All rights reserved worldwide.
(I put "copyright" on my every post because this is my blog site, it's like my signature on my every post.)


All  devotional thoughts on this site are my own writings. I've learned them during my personal devotional time.If in case u want to use this material, please ask permission from me first or at least, acknowledge that i wrote it and it came from this site.Thank you! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Facing 2023

How did you say googbye to 2022 and how did you face 2023? Here's how i ended my 2022 and welcomed the new year. Watch the video below.....