The man in the passages above was the man who was freed by Jesus from demon possession .He was out of mind because legion of demons possessed him but when Jesus freed him from demon possession, he was healed and he wanted to be with Jesus and follow him.
But it was a surprise that Jesus didn't allow him to go with him and his disciples. Remember the call of the disciples? Jesus said, "Come follow me." But to this man, Jesus said, "Go home to your family and tell them how much the Lord has done for you, and how he has had mercy on you." So the man went away and began to tell in the Decapolis how much Jesus had done for him. And all the people were amazed."
He had a different assignment in life.
Jesus knew that this man would do better if he would just go home to his family and be a testimony to them. As a result of his obedience, not only he was used by God in his own family but he was also used in the ten cities to tell them what Jesus has done. ( Note: Decapolis in Greek means ten cities).
Not all people are called to be in the fulltime ministry. There are people whose assignments are to be doctors, nurses, businessman, writers, lawyers, etc.
Where would Jesus want you to stay or live right now? What is your assignment in life? Follow him.Don't dictate him of where you want to stay.Obey him where he wants you to be and what he wants you to become. God has his assignment for you.
I want to share some insights from the book "The Wisdom Commentary 1" by Mike Murdock regarding "assignment" in life. Here are his thoughts:
1) Everything created contains an instruction, an assignment, to solve a specific problem.
2) Your assignment is not decided by you, but discovered by you. Within you is an invisible calling, purpose and destiny (see Jeremiah 1:4-8). Something within you wants to solve a problem for someone, somewhere, something.THAT IS YOUR ASSIGNMENT.
3) Your assignment is something you alone must discern and discover while you are on earth ( see Romans 14:12).That is why your relationship with God is an absolute necessity.
4) Nobody else knows your assigment.You cannot even prove it to another person.It is invisible and yet clearly defined within you.It cannot be doubted when you are in the presence of the One who made you, the Holy Spirit. "The Spirit of God hath made me and the breath of the Almighty hath given me life" Job 33:4 (KJV).
5) Your assignment is God's total focus. "Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquianted with all my ways" Psalm 139:3 (KJV).
6) The Holy Spirit who created you decides your assigment. He keeps his hand upon your life."Thou hast beset me behind and before,and laid thine hand upon me" Psalm 139:5-(KJV).
7) The Holy Spirit is your constant advisor for your assignment."Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence? If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me." Psalm 139:7-10 (KJV)
8) It is your responsibility to identify your assignment.So do not expect others to define your assignment for you.You must discover your own assignment for yourself.God intended it to be so.This will require your personal reaching and moving toward His presence.
9) The word of God is the blueprint for your assignment and must become your daily focus. Hearing from Him will make your assignment clear, irrefutable and immovable."Thou hast dealt well with thy servant, O LORD, according unto thy word." Psalm 119:65 (KJV).
You are on earth to solve a problem.That is why it is called ...The Assignment.
Copyright © 2010 by Mari Ann Rose "Mariah" F. Gadapan . All rights reserved worldwide.